Sunday, December 9, 2012

I'm Not A Runner, but I am Running

There are a lot of things I am good at, such as:

  • reading to children
  • researching things
  • using the dewey decimal system
  • critical thinking
  • explaining complex ideas to children
  • imagining a scenario in which any rule should be broken 
  • creating crafting activities for children
  • negotiating with toddlers
  • logistical planning
There are things that I am adequate at, such as:
  • cooking
  • sewing
  • needle crafts
  • music
  • photography
  • writing
  • technology
And there are things I am bad at, such as:
  • housekeeping
  • poker faces
  • spelling
  • memorizing poetry (especially in Latin)
  • drawing
  • pop culture
  • running
When I go running, it's like a constant bashing of my self-esteem.  I'm not good at it, I don't enjoy it and yet I keep going.  While my friends are running (as in without stopping) 5, 6, 7 mile runs, I have yet to run a full mile without a walking break.  The idea of propelling myself forward for 13.1 miles scares the bejeebies out of me.  It's really good for me to be doing something that challenges me, but I think for the sake of my sanity I need to mix in some more things that I'm good at.

I haven't gotten in as many runs lately due to travel and being sick.  Today's run was my first since Tuesday.  When I got to the Rose Bowl, I remembered that today is the second Sunday of the month, meaning it was the flea market.  Luckily I was getting there as it was ending, so parking wasn't an issue.  It did make the beginning of the run more interesting, as I was running past some of the vendors.   It was a slow "run," with my head still full of snot.  I'll spare you the stats, mostly because I don't want to look at them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment