Thursday, October 25, 2012

At What Point Do I Become a "Runner"?

I'm not a big fan of runners.  I like watching Usain Bolt as much as anyone, but I don't like people who talk about running as a hobby.  They make it sound so fun.  And it's not.  At all.

When people who run find out that I am trying my hand (feet?) at their beloved hobby, they start offering all sorts of advice and crazy-talk involving running feeling good.  One friend who is wise and kind advised me to start slow, by running five minutes and walking two.  I looked at her and laughed.  She thought I could run for five minutes straight--without stopping.  Crazy woman.

Yesterday, as I was voicing my desire to never run another step (yes, after just one day of "training"), a kind cousin encouraged me not to give up.  She told me that she never enjoyed running until about 20 or 30 minutes in and that I should at least hang with it until I could run that long.  I decided that I could do that.  If I miraculously start enjoying propelling myself forward after that length of time, I'll let you know.   

Training Day 2:


I was very sore after Monday's energy expenditure.  The woman who sold me my cute shoes warned me to ease into them, as they are "minimalist" shoes.  She told me that they would work my calf muscles more than other shoes.  I didn't quite ease enough into these shoes.  After two days of being very sore, I put the shoes on this morning and wore them for a walk to Target and the bank (a little over a mile round trip).  My blood clot leg hurt, but otherwise all was well.  I think I just have to learn how to move in these shoes.

I went back to the Rose Bowl tonight for another 3 miles.  There are signs up all along the trail directing people to go one way.  90% of the walkers/bikers/runners go the other direction.  I went the directed way tonight and learned why no one likes to go that way: somehow it's steeper.  I can't explain it, but even my app confirmed that the elevation climb was more going counter-clockwise.  

The good news is since I was going the opposite direction of most people, I wasn't passed by nearly as many people.  I even passed someone--an overweight woman walking her chihuahua.  Minor victories. I completely surprised myself tonight by actually running 5 full minutes, without stopping, dying, or throwing up.  I did this thrice.  Amazing.  I found myself grinning after completing my first five minutes.  Maybe I will actually like this.  

Stats:

Distance: 3 miles
Duration: 44:36 minutes
Average pace: 14.37 mile/minute
Average speed: 4.11 mph

2 comments:

  1. You're right. It's just too great a thing to NOT offer advice and I'm not talking about the foot pounding part but rather the flushed cheeks, clear lungs, and clear mind part that happens afterward. So, I apologize but here is my advice: go on a wooded trail far from traffic and other runners, if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look for a good trail. I do really enjoy leaping over things.

    ReplyDelete