Saturday, January 19, 2013

100 Miles!

Today I ran/walked my 100th mile.  I think that's pretty huge, but it was such a discouraging run today that it didn't feel monumental.  I still celebrated with some boba milk tea, which I have decided is an excellent recovery drink.  

It was hot today, almost 80 degrees.  In addition to it being rather warm, there was something in the air that was irritating my nose.  Breathing through my nose was painful/sneeze inducing, which meant I kept breathing through my mouth.  So my list of complaints for today's run:
  1. Too warm in the mid-day sun (the shaded areas were pleasant)
  2. My nose hurt
  3. My mouth got very dry because breathing through my nose hurt
  4. My fingers swelled (very strange for me)
  5. The ball of my right foot is sore
  6. My leg hurt (as usual)
On Thursday I went to see another medical professional to discuss my fat leg.  Matt had found a physical therapist who is certified in lymphedema treatment.  Lymphedema is similar in a lot of ways to my constant swelling, so she was about to offer some insight.  Of course that insight was not what I wanted to hear: "Your leg will always be like this.  Exercise and compression stockings can help, but not heal."

The good news is she is able to fit me for a prescription compression stocking (after I call my friendly, fast-talking doctor and get her to sign off on the referral).  It will be ugly, but having one that is the right size/strength is very helpful.

I'm exactly one month from this crazy race, three months into the training.  

No comments:

Post a Comment