Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Connections

When I was in elementary school, every year we would do a Math-A-Thon.  I loved them.  I was good at math.  We would gather pledges for how many math problems we would do, then work the problems.  I'm sure I never gathered very much money, but I always finished the whole workbook.  The money went to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.  As I a kid, I knew that the money was going to help sick kids.

Last week my friend's five week old son was admitted to St. Jude's with cancer.  This is when I remembered the Math-A-Thons.  According to tradition (and Wikipedia) Saint Jude is "The Saint for the Hopeless and the Despaired." When St. Jude Children's Research Hospital opened in 1962, most childhood cancers were terminal.  Now, thanks to 50 years of painstaking researching, my friend's son has a chance.  20ish years ago when I was working those math problems, I had no idea that I would be funding research that would some day help someone dear to me.

The amazing thing about giving money to help others is you never know how that will affect you.  I'm working to raise money for Oasis India right now.  Oasis India is a anti-trafficking organization that works with local officials to find and end human trafficking.  Less than two years ago, Oasis was involved in a raid that rescued 300 kids.  These children, over a third of them under the age of three, were being forced to beg for money and beaten if they didn't bring back enough.  The babies were often drugged and used as a begging prop.  These children are 'the hopeless and the despaired.'  There are 27 million people worldwide being bought and sold like property.  If you can give to help continue the work of Oasis, please do (this is the link or use the button on the right).  Who knows, you may be helping someone you love.

Running News:

I ran 4.5 miles today (okay, ran with walking breaks).  Things I learned:

  • I run faster under overpasses because I've seen enough earthquake pictures to be scared of being under one during an earthquake
  • I run faster when a homeless man is cat calling
  • I like water fountains

No comments:

Post a Comment