Sunday, January 6, 2013

Crocheting While Running, Not So Easy

Yesterday I decided to try a crochet run.  I thought by mixing something I enjoy with something I loathe, it might make a semi-enjoyable event.  I decided on crocheting instead of knitting because
  1. I've been crocheting much longer so it's easier for me and
  2. crochet hooks are blunt and would hurt less to fall upon.
I thought that making something with bulky yarn would be the easiest, but that presented a problem: how do I carry a huge skein of yarn?  Eleanor let me borrow one of her smaller bags, so I attached the yarn to my running belt thing (what holds my key and phone) and off I went.

Usually I run in the evenings, when it is already dark and much cooler.  I wasn't prepared for how warm it would be when I went yesterday.  Between sweating like crazy and trying to crochet, it was a very slow run/walk.  I was surprised at how self-conscience I was.  Generally I am more of an observer of L.A. crazy, yesterday I felt like a participant.  At least now all the other walkers, runners, bikers, skaters will have a story to tell of a very slow runner trying not to faint all the while crocheting.  At least I didn't fall on my face.  I'm not sure if I will try it again.  It did make the running more interesting.

As I was trying to crochet while running, I was wondering what I would do with what I crocheted.  I came up with the idea of giving it to the next person who sponsors me.  Just to make it fair and fun, anyone who donates to Oasis India this week will get a fun crocheted or knitted something, most likely not all crocheted while running.  It's a win-win-lose-win: girls in India are freed from brothels (win), you get something fun that I crocheted (win), I have to keep running (lose), but I get to crochet/knit (win).

No comments:

Post a Comment