Saturday, November 10, 2012

New Record!

I use an app called RunKeeper to track my "runs."  I love how supportive it is.  Every time I log a new activity, it sends me an email with my new records.  Today I got this email:


Congratulations!
This is a RunKeeper FitnessAlert to let you know that you achieved the following milestones with your most recent running activity:
  • Most calories burned
  • Farthest distance in a week
  • Longest duration in a week
  • Biggest elevation climb in a week
  • Most activities in a week
  • Biggest elevation climb in a month
This makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.  And I am.  I think.

In my three weeks of running (this is a new life record), I've learned that this whole running thing is as much mental as it is physical.  When I'm running without someone/thing chasing me, as soon as I feel the first twinge of discomfort I want to stop.  It's like I have the little angel/demon duo on my shoulders, but it's more of a Monica from Friends/Baloo duo.  Baloo sits up there saying, "What's the hurry?  Slow down, enjoy life.  Running only makes you feel bad." While Monica is screeching, "Why are you going so slow?  There are snails passing you!"

Finally, today I felt like Monica started to win the battle.  I was pushing myself to go faster and farther without walking.  As I ran, I had a mantra going with the rhythm of my steps "I am strong.  I can do this.  I am strong.  I can do this..."  It's slowly getting a little easier.

Stats:

Distance: 3 miles
Duration: 37:43 min:sec (4 minutes less than my best time!!)
Average Pace: 12:35 min/mile
Average Speed: 4.77 mph

This was by far my best run around the Rose Bowl.  I did stop twice to stretch out my bad leg and my app automatically pauses.  So it technically took me a bit longer than it says, but I'm pretty excited about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment