Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Running in Circles

I went to see my friendly, fast talking doctor yesterday.  I wanted to see if she could give me any direction on how to deal with my fat leg.  She told me what I already knew: wear compression stockings, keep it elevated, exercise, and don't expect it to ever be normal again.  

That last part is hard for me.  I guess I always subconsciously assumed that eventually it would heal.  When I started this running thing, I started thinking about my leg more because running made it hurt.  Pain has a way of making you pay attention.  I did what I always do when confronted with a problem, I googled it.  In doing this, I found that there's a term for what my leg does: chronic venous insufficiency.  Basically, due to vein damage, I have poor circulation in my leg which causes swelling and pain.

So, tonight I shop for compression stockings...again.  I hate those stupid things.  There are approximately four million options.  All of them have pictures of octogenarians modeling them.  They come in about 25 different colors: white, black, navy, and 22 various "skin tones."  I wish they came in green, pink, lavender, or at least cobalt, something fun to offset the otherwise horridness of these inventions.  

The good news is I'm feeling much better while running.  I'm actually starting to look forward to my runs.  The lengths I go to get some time alone.  I had a good run today.  I like the cool air and the dark evenings.  I'm still no where near fast, but I'm faster than I was.

Stats:

Distance: 3.01 miles
Duration: 37:34 min/sec (10 seconds less than my best time!)
Average Pace: 12:30 min/mile
Average Speed: 4.80 mph


 

No comments:

Post a Comment