Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Not What I Expected

I went for another street run this evening.  It was a wretched afternoon with much wailing and gnashing of teeth over math homework.  I was ready to leave the house when Matt got home.  I started out with good music from my all time favorite band Waterdeep.  I was looking forward to 30-40 minutes of reflection and calm.  I was less than a block from our home when I was jolted from my bubble of serenity.  As I approached a bus stop, I saw a young woman appearing to mistreat a toddler.  I saw this through the mesh of the bus stop and I'm not sure what I saw.  The young woman looked angry, the toddler was very upset.  As soon as I passed them my music stopped abruptly (I messed up putting it on my phone).  I stopped and stood suddenly encompassed in the street noises, wondering if I should talk to the woman or call the police.  All I wanted to do was take that little baby and comfort his screams, but that probably would have been the worst thing to do.

I'm not proud to say that I walked on, not knowing what to say or do, not sure of what I saw.   

It was not the peaceful, contemplative run I had hoped for, but I did have plenty of time to pray for the young woman and her toddler.

Stats:

Distance: 2.68 miles
Duration: 36:47 min:sec
Average Pace: 13:44 min/mile
Average Speed: 4.33 mph

Total Distance: 26.3 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment